At long last it looks as though those who condone and perpetuate the horrendous, vicious, and cruel practice of illegal dogfighting may finally be held accountable for their actions. Today Michael Vick (Atlanta Falcons) and three counterparts (Purnell A. Peace, Quanis L. Phillips, Tony Taylor) were indicted by a federal grand jury and will hopefully have the book thrown at them. This news goes directly against this news article stating it was unlikely Vick would face any charges. (***Update 7/26/07.***)
The “training facility” for over 50 pit bulls seized by officials back in April included drugs, an electronic treadmill, and a rape stand used for forced breeding.
“Fights would end when one dog died or with the surrender of the losing dog, which was sometimes put to death by drowning, strangulation, hanging, gun shot, electrocution or some other method, according to the documents.”–CBS News
Disgusting! How people can live with themselves while committing such atrocities, I will never know. And those who take part in watching these bloody, “to the death” dog fights; well, in my opinion they should be held as accomplices. I’m thinking that the rape stand Michael and his cohorts had no problem putting to use ought to come into play when decisions are being made about how restitution for their reviling crimes might be met. I mean they can adjust that stand to fit someone of Michael’s size, right?
Here are some links to various stories regarding today’s indictment:
- Here’s the response from the Humane Society of the United States
- AP report
- A very brief Reuters story
- Sports Network coverage
- Pilot Online has the story, along with a link to a PDF file of the grand jury’s indictment.
- My previous blog entry relating to the case (includes video and pictures):5/22/07:Hey Clinton Portis, your ignorance is showing (Yours too, Chris Samuels)
- 7/26/07:Vick and three coconspirators plead NOT GUILTY/Links to what YOU can do to express your outrage over it all
- 7/27/07:Nike suspends Vick’s contract/Reebok stops selling Vick jerseys/PETA protests canceled
- 7/30/07:Vick co-defendant (Tony Taylor) pleads guilty/SCLC supports Vick
- 8/17/07:“Vick participated in executions” says co-defendant
- 8/20/07:Breaking News: Michael Vick ACCEPTS plea deal
WTF, John Mayer?!?!
While searching for a Michael Vick photo for this blog entry I found the “red slash through Michael’s face” picture on Photobucket. I saw the MySpace address at the bottom of it and went to check it out. While there I read “Dog Fighting Idiots List” which had a John Mayer video embedded, and I have to say I was totally shocked and surprised that John would have such an enormous lapse in common sense, judgment, and humor. Did he really think the video was the least bit amusing?! Did he assume everyone would get that he was trying to poke fun at Vick? (Which is the ONLY excuse I can think of for even thinking of making the video, let alone actually following through with it!) Did he think there was even one shred of humor in anything related to dog fighting? Shame on you, John Mayer, shame on you. What a total and complete disappointment.