You are currently browsing the category archive for the ‘Hill’s’ category.
September 6, 2007 in animals, books, Bush, Countdown with Keith Olbermann, FOX, Freedom Writers, George W. Bush, government, Hill's, Iraq, Keith Olbermann, Michael Richards, MSNBC, music, peace, politics, sea otters, The Belly Up, V for Vendetta, video, war, wheat industry | Leave a comment
I’ve always admired Keith Olbermann’s ability to put into words many of the thoughts I am unable to eloquently express. He has outdone himself with this video showcasing the outright lies, hypocrisy, immorality and lunacy of George W. Bush. (Here is the text for this video from 9/4/07).
While the entire video is incredible, it’s the last thirty seconds which especially touch upon the outrage I, and countless other Americans, feel toward this entire Iraq situation; Keith gives a voice to our concerns–our demands. It’s in this last half-minute of time that I can’t help but be reminded of a definite “must see” movie I didn’t think I’d like at all, but found myself loving, “V for Vendetta.” I can see legions of citizens fed up with GWB and his regime’s status quo, figuratively standing alongside Keith Olbermann during this video, as were the thousands of masked citizens in the final scenes of “V for Vendetta” fed up with the fascist “Norsefire” party. Could someone please hand me a
Guy Hawkes Keith Olbermann mask, please?
April 7, 2007 in Alpo, animals, ASPCA, Captain and Tennille, cats, ChemNutra Inc., Doctors Foster & Smith, dog treats, dogs, Don Imus, Erin Burnett, FDA, government, health, Hill's, life, melamine, Menu Foods, Pennsylvania, pet food, pet food recall, pets, Purina, recall, Rudy, Science Diet, Sunshine Mills, toy soldiers, VA Tech, wheat gluten, Xuzhou Anying Biologic Technology Development Co. Ltd. | 2 comments
Menu Foods (Menu Foods US recall, Menu Foods Canada recall) and Del Monte have expanded their “voluntary” recall of pet food and pet treats to include items whose date of manufacture goes back to November 8th, 2006. That was when Menu Foods first began using wheat gluten provided by ChemNutra Inc., the company who imported the tainted wheat gluten from Xuzhou Anying Biologic Technology Development Co. Ltd. in China. (See prior post here.) The initial recall by Menu Foods on March 16, 2007 was for food products manufactured from December 3, 2006-March 6, 2007.
On 4/6/07 Purina updated the FAQ section of their 3/30/07 press release to state:
The FDA announced April 5 that Menu Foods is expanding the dates of its recall of all chunk and gravy pet food products it produced. Has anything changed with regards to the range of Purina products affected?
- No. Purina previously directed that all Mighty Dog 5.3-oz. pouch products were to be removed from shelf, regardless of date code. Because Menu Foods produced Mighty Dog pouch wet dog foods, the date range of recalled Mighty Dog pouch items now includes products produced between November 8, 2006, and March 14, 2007. Consumers should not feed products within these affected date codes. ALPO Prime Cuts in Gravy canned dog food, which was recalled by Purina on March 30, were produced at a Purina facility and are not affected by the Menu Foods announcement.No other Purina products are affected by the recall. No other Purina dog food products, no Purina wet or dry cat foods and no Purina treats are included in this recall nor have been impacted by the contaminated wheat gluten.
Since they have now narrowed down the tainted wheat gluten to a specific importer, with specific dates of use for pet food processing, I’ll cross my fingers that this is the LAST of the constantly changing recall lists. (Updated lists here.) Of course the way this situation continues to evolve, I don’t suppose I would be too surprised to see more products added. But we can hope, right?
March 17, 2007 in Alpo, American Bullie, American Nutrition Inc., Aminopterin, animals, ASPCA, AVMA, Berkley & Jensen, Binzhou Futian Biology Technology Ltd., Blue Buffalo Co., CA Dept of Food/Ag, cats, CBS, Cereal Byproducts Co., ChemNutra Inc., Chenango Valley Pet Food, China, corn gluten, cyanuric acid, Dennis Kucinich, Diamond Foods, Dick Durbin, diet, Doctors Foster & Smith, dog treats, dogs, FDA, government, health, Hill's, homemade pet food, House of Representatives, human food supply, Humane Society of the United States, LiveSmart, Maria Cantwell, melamine, Menu Foods, Natural Balance, Nutra Nuggets, Nutro, NY Dept. of Agriculture and Markets, Ol' Roy, pet food, pet food recall, PETA, Petrapport, Inc., pets, pig/hog farm, politics, Purina, rat poison, recall, rice protein concentrate, Rosa DeLauro, Royal Canin, salmonella, Science Diet, SmartPak, Sunshine Mills, University of Guelph, USDA, wheat gluten, wheat industry, Wilbur-Ellis, Xuzhou Anying Biologic Technology Development Co. Ltd. | 40 comments
POSTS for 3/17-8/22:
- 3/17/07: Fairly long lists came out yesterday (3/16/07) for a PET FOOD RECALL. Press Release, Cat food (cat food list updated by Menu Foods on 3/23/07), Dog foods (dog food list updated by Menu Foods on 3/23/07) PLEASE take the time to follow the links I’m including to see if the brand of food you feed your pet is listed. On behalf of your pets, thank you!
- 3/18/07: Science Diet has added some of their foods to the voluntary recall list. Pets HAVE died and others are suffering severe health problems, so PLEASE check this new list AND the ones I listed above. Thank you! Science Diet Recall (On 3/30/07 Science Diet recalled feline m/d)
- 3/18/07 10:15PM PST: The FDA (Food and Drug Administration) is even posting information which shows just how far-reaching this has become. They even have a web page with information on how to register adverse reactions/consumer complaints. I appreciate that so many of you are reading as much as you can about this and staying on top of the situation. What wonderful owners your pets have! 🙂 And PLEASE continue to spread the information to AS MANY folks as you can, and have THEM stay on top of it as well. I’ll definitely continue to add information as I find out about it.
- 3/19/07 11:10 AM PST: Looks like Menu Foods has another press release, which interestingly enough says it’s not for US newswire services, whatever THAT really means. It’s in PDF format and can be accessed from their main recall page.
- 3/20/07 11:20 AM PST: It is disconcerting to hear that in February, Menu Foods apparently was notified of the problems with pets eating certain Menu Foods produced food, did their own testing in which approximately 17% of the tested pets died, yet it wasn’t until March 16th that the recall was announced?!?! I am obviously no expert on how these things work, but it sure seems to me that the motto of “better safe than sorry” should have been in place LONG BEFORE March 16th! Menu Foods recall notice states:
“We take these complaints very seriously and, while we are still looking for a specific cause, we are acting to err on the side of caution” said Paul K. Henderson, President and CEO, Menu Foods. “We will do whatever is necessary to ensure that our products maintain the very highest quality standards.”
Seems to me that “acting to err on the side of caution” would have meant alerting consumers about the problems MUCH sooner than they did. According to news reports, Menu Foods was alerted by pet owners about deaths and renal failure on February 20th, Menu Foods began their own tests February 27th where between 15%-20% of the pets they tested died, yet the recall was not announced until March 16th, THREE WEEKS AFTER they were first alerted of the deaths and health issues?!?!
I certainly hope to hear SOME type of logical explanation SOON from Menu Foods, but until then all I can assume is that $$$$ (especially since in their initial press release on 3/16/07 they repeatedly mention how much the recall could cost their company) and probable financial loss is what had Menu Foods dragging their feet, while their consumers were unknowingly feeding their beloved pets food which could possibly kill them, if not leave them with painful health issues and enormous veterinary bills which many owners cannot truly afford. I worked in the veterinary field for nearly 7 years and know the high cost of health care for pets, along with having had expensive medical situations with my own pets. But that is what pet owners do, they care for their pets as if they were members of their family, which they are (just four-legged instead of two-legged), and will put themselves into debt just to make sure their pets get the best care possible. Unfortunately there will be pets whose health care costs related to the issues from the tainted food will be too high for some owners to absorb, and they will then have to make the heartbreaking choice to have their beloved pet euthanized.
Come on Menu Foods, let’s get cracking on finding some solutions here. I think everyone understands that “accidents” and “mistakes” do happen in life, which might possibly explain how the food became tainted in the first place, but the part I’m having the hardest time understanding right now is why the recall took so long to be announced to consumers. What do you have to say Menu Foods? You have countless pet owners looking to you for answers.
- 3/21/07: Menu Foods Recall: Good video
- 3/22/07: Pet Food Recall: Who provided Menu Foods wheat gluten?
- 3/23/07: Pet food recall: NY Dept. of Ag says “Aminopterin” (AKA rat poison)(<–2:15 PST: Click for links to videos of the Menu Foods media teleconference held today)
- 3/24/07: Pet food recall: Menu Foods updates recall web site (includes FAQ)–dog and cat recall food lists updated, too!
- 3/25/07: Pet food recall: Menu Foods recalling ALL wet food (There’s been a non-Menu Foods pet pig ear treat recall)
- 3?25?07:Pig ear dog treats recalled: SALMONELLA contamination (NOT Menu Foods recall related)
- 3/26/07: Pet food recall: Menu Foods “clarifies”?
- 3/29/07: Pet food recall: Where to register complaints
- 3/30/07: Pet food recall: First rat poison, now melamine! How about trying to put FOOD in the food? (Also includes a link to the Menu Foods press conference on 3/30/07 and link to recall of Science Diet feline m/d)
- 3/31/07: Pet food recall: Items added 3/30 & 3/31!
- 4/1/07: Pet food recall: FDA memo naming recalled food WHEAT GLUTEN SUPPLIER?! (Also includes a link I found on 4/2 to the FDA’s chart of their “Pet Food Contamination Process)
- 4/3/07: Pet food recall: Taking action AND Pet food recall: Companies named & tainted wheat gluten reported in human food manufacturing plant
- 4/4/07:Pet food recall: Anderson Cooper 360° in China on wheat gluten story
- 4/5/07:Pet food recall: MORE products added on 4/5 (Sunshine Mills produced) (Also includes a link to the recall notice for American Bullie dog chews)
- 4/6/07:Pet food recall: Senate hearing on FDA/Kudos to Sen. Durbin “The FDA’s response to this situation has been tragically slow…”
- 4/7/07:Pet food recall: Yet AGAIN, recall EXPANDS (links to updated lists)
- 4/10/07:Changing AP story on Pet Food Recall deaths AND “Go Orange for Animals” with the ASPCA today!
- 4/10/07:Pet food recall: Menu Foods issues THIRD recall list today (4/10)
- 4/11/07:Animal news round-up: HR 137 passes, Oversight hearing on 4/12, CFO sold shares…
- 4/12/07:Pet food recall: Oversight hearing on CSPAN & FDA warns some recalled food STILL on shelves
- 4/13/07:Pet food recall: Headlines around the globe
- 4/16/07:Pet food recall: Natural Balance pet food notice from FDA
- 4/17/07:Salmonella AGAIN: Twelve days AFTER FDA “warning” American Bullie dog chews finally recalled (NOT Menu Foods recall related)
- 4/17/07:Melamine the culprit (again) in Natural Balance’s expanded recall today (4/17)
- 4/18/07:Pet food recall: Menu Foods adds another item
- 4/18/07:Pet food recall: Melamine in rice protein/kudos to Natural Balance/Wilbur-Ellis the new ChemNutra?
- 4/18/07:Sen. Durbin and Congresswoman Rosa DeLauro continue investigation
- 4/19/07:Pet food recall: Melamine in wheat gluten/Corn gluten/Rice protein–Causes Blue Buffalo Co. to pull item
- 4/19/07:Stanislaus hog farm quarantined after “salvaged” melamine-tainted food fed to hogs
- 4/21/07:Updated Pet Products Recall page/Melamine and hogs/Intentional poisoning?/Homemade pet food/US Wheat Industry assurances
- 4/22/07:FDA update on investigation/CA Dept of Food&Ag press release regarding hogs and melamine/3 more contaminants found
- 4/23/07:Senators: Second importer of tainted rice protein found/CA Dept. of Food/Ag. update on hogs and melamine
- 4/24/07:Another recall/Hog concerns expand to several states/House hearing on food safety/Canadian pet food regulation
- 4/26/07:4/26 Pet food contamination news: More recalls/China bans melamine/hogs & human food chain/
- 4/27/07:4/27-FDA Press Release re: Additional Diamond Pet Food recall
- 4/27/07:(4/27)MORE firm FDA press releases: Blue Buffalo BLASTS American Nutrition, Inc.
- 4/28/07:(4/28):Natural Balance expanding recall after American Nutrition, Inc. altering comes to light/FDA raids Menu Foods and ChemNutra
- 4/30/07:(4/30)Melamine+China=Disgusting/Expanded pet food recalls
- 5/3/07:(5/3) No shocker here: Menu Foods expands pet food recall (again!) 7 weeks AFTER first recall
- 5/4/07:(5/4) Combination of melamine & cyanuric acid may be key to deaths/Another pet food recall/Crisis far from over/Transcript of USDA & FDA update
- 5/10/07:(5/10)US investigators in China on contaminated pet food case/Incorrectly labeled wheat flour the culprit/FDA-USDA release info/Science lesson/Menu Foods delays financial reports
- 5/14/07:(5/14) Royal Canin USA recalls 8 Sensible Choice dry dog foods and 7 Kasco dry dog and cat foods
- 5/15/07:(5/15) ChemNutra calls for a national Pet Food Ingredients Safety Summit/Kirkland recall/Hogs that ate tainted feed being released for consumption
- 5/18/07:(5/18) Chenango Valley Pet Foods expands recall: possibility of cross-contamination (includes ferret food)
- 5/28/07:(5/28) And the pet food contamination saga continues…
- 5/29/07:(5/29) Head of China’s Food and Drug Agency sentenced to death/Nutra Nuggets recall
- 6/7/07:Dog food recalled due to possibility of salmonella (Ol’ Roy Complete Nutrition) (NOT related to melamine-tainted pet food recall)
- 7/11/07:Videos of Michael Moore on CNN (Parts I & II with Wolf Blitzer AND Larry King Live with Dr. Gupta)/Pet food recall update
- 8/21/07:Wal-Mart pulls chicken jerky dog treats produced in China
- 8/22/07:Red Flannel dog food (Mars Petcare) recalled in PA due to possibility of salmonella contamination
- 9/13/07:Possible new “made in China” tainted dog treat: Smokehouse Chicken Breast Tenders Treats
- 9/19/07:Pet food recall: Bravo! recalls tubes of raw food poultry products for pets due to possibility of Salmonella/Listeria
- 9/13/08: Deja vu: Mars Petcare US announces 9-12-08 pet food recall of SEVERAL brands due to potential salmonella contamination (list included)